Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The verdict: it's Shaun Hill!

Toes has been dying for me to post news regarding the 49ers' preseason. Far be it from me to disappoint.

The "quarterback controversy" is over. Maryland alum Shaun Hill has won the job over Alex Smith. I'm CISED! Hill is my boy. I can't say that I'm surprised that he won the job. Hill is Coach Singletary's kind of guy. He's not flashy or outwardly impressive. He just wins.

Now for the other side of the coin. Princess Michael Crabtree, the number one draft pick, STILL hasn't signed and has threatened to sit out the season if he doesn't get "top 5" money. What a tool! He hasn't so much as put on pads yet in the NFL and he wants to get paid! I hope he DOES sit out the season! Who needs his diva ass? I was on record on draft day saying that picking him was a bad decision.

Vulture's First Law of the NFL draft: Unless the player in question is a Jerry Rice, a Randy Moss, or a Larry Fitzgerald - that is to say, a once-in-a-decade or once-in-a-lifetime kind of player - NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, N-E-V-E-R draft a Wide Receiver in the first round. Michael Oher was still on the board, a huge OL with a penchant for destroying defensive linemen!!!!! There were two decent OLB/DE prototype linemen still on the board.

But Vulture, he could end up being that once-in-a-decade guy! Yeah, and I could start shooting fire from my ass!
See? Again I have to say it: I told you so!

We're only about 2 weeks away from Opening Day. In spite of a gawd-awful draft and the switch to the Willie "Too Big" Hall uniforms (see here for the explanation of that reference), I'm really energized and excited for the 2009 season. The Niners are in a weak division, and if one thing is true in the NFL it's this: if it CAN happen, it WILL happen. This could be our year! I'm officially drinking the 49er Kool-Aid!

*------------------------------------*
*------------------------------------*