Saturday, August 29, 2009

Wiener of the Week

I was driving in to work Wednesday morning when I stumbled upon a most peculiar scene. How peculiar? Peculiar enough that I whipped out my cell phone and took this crummy photo to send to my friends and family. The sign, hand-lettered but fully legible from the far-left turn lane onto Gallows Road, simply read:

I cheated this is my punishment

Naturally I emailed the photo and story to all of my friends and family. Who wouldn't? I didn't think much more about it, even though it ended up making the 6 o'clock news on Channel 4 in DC. I thought it was a local story of local interest.

Not hardly! The story has gone viral! BuzzFeed featured it. BuzzFeed has an audience that approximates that of CBSNews.com and MSNBC.com, so we're talking about a LOT of people beyond the target audience of Tysons Corner commuters who saw this miserable young man pay his penance. The BuzzFeed link has a better picture of the young man - identified as William Taylor - and his sign.

I almost hesitate to name this guy as the WotW. I mean....hasn't he suffered enough? But he's earned the award, so here it is: William Taylor - you're the Wiener of the Week.

*------------------------------------*
*------------------------------------*