Saturday, January 23, 2010

State mottos

Some time ago I introduced you to the Maryland state motto: "If you can imagine it, we can tax it". But now I have learned that I was off by one word. The CORRECT Maryland state motto is: "If You Can Dream It, We Can Tax It". How do I know this? I know this because Theo Spark has published the official list of state mottos.

Check it out when you have a minute to waste. Some of my favorites (and some included just because I used to live there) are:

Alabama: Yes, We Have Electricity
Arizona: But It’s A Dry Heat
California: By 30, Our Women Have More Plastic Than Your Honda
Connecticut: Like Massachusetts, Only The Kennedy's Don’t Own It Yet
Idaho: More Than Just Potatoes. Well Okay, Not Really, But The Potatoes Sure Are Real Good
Maryland: If You Can Dream It, We Can Tax It
Massachusetts: Our Taxes Are Lower Than Sweden’s (For Most Tax Brackets)
New Jersey: You Want A ##$%##! Motto? I Got Yer ##$%##! Motto Right Here!
Utah: Our Jesus Is Better Than Your Jesus
West Virginia: One Big Happy Family – Really!
Wisconsin: Come Cut The Cheese
Wisconsin: Come Smell our Dairy Air
Wyoming: Where Men Are Men (And The Sheep Are Scared)
Enjoy.

*------------------------------------*
*------------------------------------*