Saturday, May 31, 2008

The kind of protest I could support

Okay, it's a little over the top, but it's the only kind of protest that I (and my boys, for sure) could ever participate in.

Conservative grassroots group Grassfire.org wants people to waste as much energy as possible on June 12 by "hosting a barbecue, going for a drive, watching television, leaving a few lights on, or even smoking a few cigars."

The point: the group wants to "help Americans break free from the 'carbon footprint guilt' being imposed by Climate Alarmists."
My personal favorites were omitted: disconnect your catalytic converters and eat several pounds of baked beans. Oh wait, that last one is methane, not carbon dioxide. It'll have to do.

Okay, all foolishness aside, I no more advocate the wasting of resources than I advocate a fascist takeover of the United States. But I understand the sentiment behind the protest. The environmental zealots are on the fast track to imposing draconian limitations on our lives and freedoms, and calling attention to the complete lack of validity of their claims needs to be done, one way or another.

Can we un-invent Al Gorebells?

*------------------------------------*
*------------------------------------*