Saturday, September 6, 2008

Media bias? No way!

Whateverman and yodaddy think I'm a little overly-sensitive about media bias. I dunno, Joe Biden, what do you think?

[O]n ABC’s Good Morning America, Biden agreed that media coverage of Palin had been “outrageous,” “totally unfair,” and “sexist.” Biden told Robin Roberts: “The truth is some of the stuff that the press has said about -- and others have said about the governor, I think -- are outrageous.....Some of the stuff said has just been over the top, totally unfair and I think it has been sexist, and I think the way the Governor has handled it has been admirable.”
Uh huh. My sentiments exactly.

I've always been of the view that if you're going to have an opinion, you'd better be able to back it up with facts. So I spent a couple of hours today researching news stories on the vice presidential candidates. I won't pretend that I'm 100% unbiased in my scoring of those stories, but I gave it my best effort.

A decently-representative culling of the reactions to Joe Biden in the week following his designation as BO's running mate ran thusly:

Gushing ....... 2
Positive ........ 2
Neutral ......... 2
Negative ....... 2

A sampling of the comments I used to support my ranking (along with links to the original articles) can be found here.

A similarly-chosen culling of the reactions to Sarah Palin in the week following her designation as McCommie's running mate:

Gushing ....... 0
Positive ........ 2
Neutral ......... 2
Negative ....... 6

A sampling of the comments I used to support my ranking (along with links to the original articles) can be found here.

Additional links to related news stories and commentary follows.

By the Numbers: Cable Nets Boost Biden, Trash Palin
'Rainmaker' lobbyist aids Biden
How Palin & Biden's Favorability Numbers Compare To Past VP Picks
Joe Biden Has Most Negative Google Results Of Presidential Nominees
More Negative News Trouble For Sarah Palin
The Public, the Press, and Palin
First poll on Palin is overwhelmingly negative
Desperate For More Negative Information About Palin The Associated Press Publishes A Stretch
Republicans and Democrats battle to portray Palin
'American Morning' Fact Checks Palin But Not Obama or Biden
A woman -- but why this woman?
Palin-Smearing Baltimore Sun Columnist Whines Readers Being Mean to Her

I didn't bother with the cheap shots from US magazine, nor the asshat columnist in New York who negatively critiqued Palin's hairstyle (and yet, I've heard not a single word about Biden's hair plugs!), nor the character assassins at the Daily Kos, the Huffing Glue Report, etc. Too easy.

Whew! I'm whipped.

Okay, if you can read all of the links here and come away with any sort of sense that Sarah Palin and Senator Hairplugs are getting equal treatment from the press, you're either an ideologue, a member of the media, or smoking crack.

*------------------------------------*
*------------------------------------*