Monday, September 15, 2008

Week 2 -- a stunning upset

I'm still scratching my head and trying to figure it out. Does Sunday's 33-30 49ers victory over the Seabags mean that the Niners are in ascendancy? Or is it simply an indication of how bad the Seabags are and how far they've fallen.

(It's just like me to look a gift horse in the mouth!)

Actually, I'm thrilled with the result, especially considering that the Niners were down 14-0 before my seat on the couch was even warm. Since TJ was home from school (he loves to watch football with his daddy), we switched over to watch his favorite team, the Bucs, dismantle the pathetic Falcons. As various updates popped up onscreen (and as we half-followed the 49ers gaming during commercials via the Red Zone channel), it became obvious to me that the game was far from over; the Niners actually had a chance!

You gotta understand, the 'Bags have OWNED the Niners for 4 of the past 5 years. Owned. Last year I believe they beat my boys by about 120-0 in the two games. (Yeah, I know, I'm exaggerating, but that's what it felt like).

I'll say this much: the Mike Martz offense is E-X-P-L-O-S-I-V-E. I don't like the way JT is getting his ass kicked (8 sacks - ouch!). But you can't bark at the results when a career third-string quarterback is throwing for 320 yards!

The defense is still about half-scary. The safeties were really hitting. Patrick Willis is a man among boys; he is Ray Lewis circa 2000 minus the retarded strutting and preening. But HOW IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY did the defense give up so many points against a decimated Seabag offense? The defense really needs to get and hold it together.

Okay, the boys are 1-1, and the one loss was to the Cactus Wrens, who, by totally disassembling the Fish yesterday, showed that they just might be legit. Who knows? In a weak NFC, we might just sneak into the playoffs...........

*------------------------------------*
*------------------------------------*