Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Just when I thought I understood...

Every so often, something happens that has me shaking my head and wondering if I really understand what's going on. An example is my new favorite Senator, Russ Feingold, who is working tirelessly to protect travelers from having their laptops, PDAs, and other electronic equipment confiscated by der Schutzstaffel...excuse me, the Department of Homeland Security. Given that Senator Feingold is generally one of the more left-leaning members of Congress, chances of my seeing eye-to-eye with him on any issue would have to rank as slim-to-none. And yet, here is the good Senator, fighting to preserve the protections of the 4th Amendment against the wishes of the regime of King George the Dim.

But this one really floored me. I always thought of Alec Baldwin as a blowhard suffering from Bush Derangement Syndrome. But last week, appearing on the repellent Bill Maher's show, he dropped this bombshell that, once again, has me questioning if I understand anything.

The, the thing we have to remember, a friend of mine who is very close to the financial community in New York pointed out that Democrats have a lot of the responsibility for this as well. I mean, it was Clinton who killed the Glass-Steagall, and it happened under a Democratic president. Barney Frank and his committee, they, they kept propping up Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac saying everything's fine, everything's fine, everything's good. And it was his job to know everything wasn't fine. And Barney Frank let you down and let us down as well. And so, but I want to say there's blame to go both ways. But I will say, I want to, I maybe keep beating this to death, but I still think anyone in this Congress who voted to add $140 billion to that bill, they should be ashamed of themselves. That is a disgrace. It's a disgrace. This Congress is a disgrace, Democrat and Republican.
Uh, wow! I'm floored.

I guess this is proof yet again that no one is 100% right -- not even Ron Paul -- and no one is 100% wrong. Not even Alec Baldwin.

*------------------------------------*
*------------------------------------*