Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Nolan gets the ax

The York's dropped the hammer. Mike Nolan has been canned.

Am I surprised? Not really. All of the Bay Area-based blogs were calling for his head before training camp even started. I'm guessing that his mega-questionable judgment on replay challenges and his poor clock management decisions were just too much for ownership to handle.

I feel bad for him; it's a hard thing for a man to lose his job.

The new coach, at least on an interim basis, is Mike Singletary. I'm cised! I L-O-V-E Mike Singletary! I hope he gets the permanent coaching position. He's exactly the kind of coach the Niners need, a man's man who won't accept anything but 100% effort. Now maybe the defense will be worth a damn. One can dream, right?

One thing is certain - there will be a different atmosphere, a different vibe. Mike Singletary, as a player, was the most intense and best-prepared player I've ever seen. He's in the Pro Football Hall of Fame for a reason; he was among the best ever at his position. I don't think he'll approach coaching any differently than he approached playing; he'll have his game face on, and he'll be prepared.

*------------------------------------*
*------------------------------------*