Sunday, February 10, 2008

Wiener of the Week

This week the Wiener of the Week is.......The Vulture!

Why, you might ask, would I "out" myself as being guilty of some error or asshattery when, as the lone voice of this blog, I could have just as easily pretended that said asshattery never occurred? Because if I'm not honest with you, my readers -- the few, the proud, the way-too-much-time-on-their-hands, then I'm not worth much as a voice for our times, now am I?

I am the Wiener of the Week because I broke Web Programming Rule #1 - ALWAYS test any change to HTML against ALL potential browsers (particularly the Mozilla-based browsers and Internet Exploder) before releasing to production. Two week ago (give or take) I made a change to the blog template to make the post area wider. I noticed on wider screens like the one I have at work only about 1/3 of the screen was being used for the actual content of the blog. Even on the crap "print server" machine I have at home, with its HURTING resolution, there was about 15% of the screen blank and not containing content. So I, being every bit the intrepid software geek, changed the template. It looked amazing on Firefox. Too bad I didn't check IE - it looked H-U-R-T-I-N-G; overlapping text into the "gray" areas, missing decorative graphics, etc. Here's the worst part -- it looked H-U-R-T-I-N-G for TWO FULL WEEKS AND I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT!!!! Now THAT'S worthy of a Wiener of the Week award!

I have since changed the template to where both IE and Firefox have similar layouts as part of the change noted in my next post. Of course now both are HORRIBLY bland; I'll remedy that in my copious spare time.

For breaking Rule #1, I am my own Wiener of the Week.

*------------------------------------*
*------------------------------------*